Looking at Ebay the trending price for a good quality used personal CD player is increasing week by week. This is an indication that more people are looking for higher end personal CD players. Models that could be bought for £10 last year are now selling for around £30. Top end models can cost up to £500. One thing is sure, there is definitely something going on.
A number of factors may be at play:
- If you want better quality than online streaming and you listen through headphones then a personal CD player is the way to go.
- The move rom earphones to larger headphones further increases the enjoy-ability of listening to CDs.
- CD's are sufficiently retro while still having new releases.
- There are already audiophile quality remastered discs like Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab which fit that niche high end market.
- There is lots of material on CD that has never been released in digital format.
- The only portable CD players available new now are pretty low end and do not give very good performance.
Its only a small trend at the moment, but watch out for personal CD players making a come back.