I did some research and came across the Sparx mouthpieces. I went ahead and ordered a "2" which has a similar size rim to my 1.5C trumpet mouthpiece. It arrived surprisingly quickly from Canada and I have started using it. I had originally intended switching in a month or so, but the feel and blow was so similar to the Curry that I found switching too difficult.
Some of the things I have noticed so far:
- Very supportive in the upper register without feeling too tight.
- The effort required between intervals is very even across the range.
- My cornet is more in tune with itself across the range and at different dynamics.
- A general improvement in intonation.
- Able to back off more and use less effort to make the instrument speak resulting in a bit more stamina.
Its a big mouthpiece so it it's never going to do screamy high notes, but top C entries are still solid.
The Sparx is expensive to import to the UK, but it seems worth it for the benefits . Does anyone else use one and have any comments?
Here are a couple of home recordings: