- Download and install Any Video Converter from here (being careful not to allow the install of toolbars and other ad related programming unless you really want it).
- Follow the simpe on screen instructions to convert your video file to MP4 (Mpeg4) format.
- Select "Customised MP4 Movie". The only setting you need to change is the frame size which should be set to "original".
- Convert the file (this could take an hour or more for a very big file).
- Open iTunes.
- Add the converted file to your library (you may want to go to file > library > organise library to copy your file into your iTunes folder).
- Plug in your iPad to synchronise it.
- When its recognised click on it in the left hand menu in iTunes and go to the Movies tab. Make sure your new video is ticked to synchronise and apply the changes. It will be copied to your iPad.
- When its all synchronised unplug the iPad go to movies and your video should be listed.
This is not as complicated as it sounds. Just follow the steps and it will work fine.
By the way, if you want to save a YouTube video onto your iPad download it to your computer in MP4 format at www.keepvid.com and then add it to your iTunes library as above.